This project is read-only.

feature receiver issue

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:01 PM
Hi,

First, thanks for making this tool, it has saved me alot of development work. 

I have followed the first two videos with no problem, I only seem to have an issue with the third video, when it comes to making a custom task form.  I get the following error, when I activate my feature:

Failed to create feature receiver object from assembly "TPG.SharePoint.Workflow, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d3a33f5f62ef53ef", type "TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.FeatureReceiver" for feature 76fbcd30-2832-401d-9d28-2d73c5d584b9: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: type
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Boolean nonPublic)
   at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFeatureDefinition.get_ReceiverObject()

I also get the same error when I try to deploy the TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Sample.  After looking at the source code it seems that class "FeatureReceiver" is missing.  I was wonderning if that class must have been missing in the installer?

Thanks,
Drew

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM

Hi Ingram,

Have you installed the latest bits, or are you running a beta? We used to have a FeatureReceiver class but it was removed. I think the Feature.xml file for the TPG.SharePoint.Workflow feature might not have been updated for you.

It should contain:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<Feature  Id="76FBCD30-2832-401d-9D28-2D73C5D584B9"

Title="WSS3 Workflow Tools"

Description="WSS3 Workflow Tools Content-Type and Custom-Action"

Version="12.0.0.0"

Scope="Site"

Hidden="TRUE"

xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sharepoint/">

<ElementManifests>

<ElementManifest Location="ContentType.xml" />

<ElementManifest Location="CustomAction.xml" />

</ElementManifests>

</Feature>

Can you confirm this is the case? You can check the contents of this file in 12\TEMPLATE\Features\WSS3Workflow.

Wouter

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:49 PM
It looks like the WSS3Workflow feature.xml, doesn't get updated when you intall the latest installer.

I installed Version 1.0.0 x86, but most likely an older version of that file still exist.

Is there anyway to update this file?  Can I just delete and add the latest version of the feature.xml?

Thanks,
Drew
Coordinator
Dec 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM

Yes, that should work out just fine. The WSP is also available in the %program file%\Ted Pattison Group\WSS3Workflow folder or something similar. You can retrieve the XML file from the WSP.

Personally I’d try fully de-installing all existing versions, ensure that the SharePoint 12 folder no longer contains our extensions and then re-install. You would need to remove the following files if they are still there after the de-install:

- First de-activate all features using our framework, deactivate our feature too

- Deactivate / remove our solution package

- Ensure that the following is gone:

o TEMPLATE\Features\WSS3Workflow

o TEMPLATE\Layouts\WSS3Workflow

Now I am assuming this is in a developer machine and not in production! J

Met vriendelijke groet / with kind regards,

Wouter van Vugt

Technology Evangelist

Email: wouter@code-counsel.net
Mobile: +31 (6) 438 317 12
Weblog: http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Code Counsel

Sharing Knowledge With Passion

Sent: vrijdag 19 december 2008 18:50
To: Wouter van Vugt
Subject: Re: feature receiver issue [wss3workflow:42626]

It looks like the WSS3Workflow feature.xml, doesn't get updated when you intall the latest installer.

I installed Version 1.0.0 x86, but most likely an older version of that file still exist.

Is there anyway to update this file? Can I just delete and add the latest version of the feature.xml?

Thanks,
Drew

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:14 PM
Sorry for the late response, but your suggestion worked.  Thanks!

Drew