This project is read-only.

Weird problem when adding webpart to default.aspx page

Feb 12, 2009 at 9:57 PM
I wanted to add a display list webpart and I get the following error in my default.aspx page just after adding the webpart (see below):

I don't understand why it is calling TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.BulkTaskProcessingButton.OnInit

However, I have created another web part page and if I load the same problematic webpart, everything is okay....

Server Error in '/' Application. <o:p></o:p>

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. <o:p></o:p>

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: <o:p></o:p>

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. <o:p></o:p>

Stack Trace: <o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]<o:p></o:p>

TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.BulkTaskProcessingButton.OnInit(EventArgs eventArgs) +252<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +455<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +263<o:p></o:p>

Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.FeatureMenuTemplate.CreateChildControls() +1457<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +148<o:p></o:p>

Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.MenuTemplate.OnLoad(EventArgs args) +102<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +65<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +190<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.AddedControl(Control control, Int32 index) +4697498<o:p></o:p>

Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.ListViewWebPart.CreateChildControls() +3955<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.EnsureChildControls() +148<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +70<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +238<o:p></o:p>

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3680<o:p></o:p>

Feb 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM
When I set the toolbar type to "No toolbar" in the webpart everything is ok. So it looks like the problem is related to the toolbar and the bulk task button.
Feb 13, 2009 at 9:22 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:15 AM
This issue has been resolved and the fix will be in the next build.
Apr 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Hi Chris,

It looks like the problem is still there.

After I have installed build 1.1, everything was ok. Then I needed to run the SharePoint Configuration Wizard and the problem was back.

Here are my observations:

I have:

one document library with a WSSWorklow.
one list with a SharePoint Designer workflow

When I access the document library, everything is ok.
When I access the list, I get the error message.

Workaround for now: I have removed the CustomAction.xml reference in the feature file and reinstall the feature. Now everything is ok.

Thanks.

Martin.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:05 PM
To make sure I completely understand the problem, you're having the same issue as before, except that it's showing up in the list page instead of the web parts on the main site page?

Chris
May 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM
Yes, it is on list pages.

Martin.

To: [email removed]
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:05:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Weird problem when adding webpart to default.aspx page [wss3workflow:47001]

To make sure I completely understand the problem, you're having the same issue as before, except that it's showing up in the list page instead of the web parts on the main site page?

Chris

Windows Live Messenger vous permet de rester en contact plus facilement- apprenez comment!
May 6, 2009 at 1:03 PM
I get the same results on my development server. Designer workflows on the task list will cause an object reference not set error in  TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.BulkTaskProcessingButton.OnInit(EventArgs eventArgs) for a list view. The webparts are fine.

Production server (64 bit and older version of WSS) the webparts fail with this error. I haven't tried the list views on the production server--I uninstall real fast, because I have a lot of broken pages with it there.

Thanks for the great product!
Eric
May 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM

I've found the problem.  The updated code is checked in and I'll be updating the 1.1 build this weekend.

Chris

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:18 AM

Hi Chris,

I'm getting a similar error with the 1.0 release...Test server is 64bit, MOSS SP2, 2 WFEs.  

Can I assume the May 14th 1.1 release files have the fix? You mentioned that you were going to update the build over the weekend of 5/16 & 5/17, and I'm assuming you actually did it ahead of schedule, right?  Also, is the 1.1 build a signed release?

Thanks!

Mike Sharp

Jun 2, 2009 at 1:24 AM

Yes, I got a little time after the post and ran the build.

Chris

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:23 PM

We are still experiencing the same issue with 1.1 build. I will try to do the workaround as suggested by coupalm.

Can somebody look into this issue.

Thanks for the great product.

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Will do. Sorry to hear it is still in there. I thought we resolved it.

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt
MVP Visual Studio Tools for Office

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

Sharing Knowledge with Passion
www.code-counsel.net

Your fastest way up the SharePoint learning curve!
www.criticalpathtraining.com

Sent: donderdag 9 juli 2009 17:24
To: Wouter van Vugt
Subject: Re: Weird problem when adding webpart to default.aspx page [wss3workflow:47001]

We are still experiencing the same issue with 1.1 build. I will try to do the workaround as suggested by coupalm.

Can somebody look into this issue.

Thanks for the great product.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Hi

Thanks.

The workaround as suggested by coupalm works. When upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1 I had to completely uninstall the solution and use the installer to upgrade to V1.1 even on the production. Using the wsp to upgrade the solution (on live as suggested on the download page) broke a lot of other things that were working in v 1.0.

Anyways, your product has saved me a lot of time during development of complex workflows.

Regards

Rakesh

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Please let us know of the issues and we’ll do our absolute best to solve them as soon as time allows. Glad you like the tools.

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt
MVP Visual Studio Tools for Office

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

Sharing Knowledge with Passion
www.code-counsel.net

Your fastest way up the SharePoint learning curve!
www.criticalpathtraining.com

Sent: vrijdag 10 juli 2009 18:18
To: Wouter van Vugt

Hi

Thanks.

The workaround as suggested by coupalm works. When upgrading from 1.0 to 1.1 I had to completely uninstall the solution and use the installer to upgrade to V1.1 even on the production. Using the wsp to upgrade the solution (on live as suggested on the download page) broke a lot of other things that were working in v 1.0.

Anyways, your product has saved me a lot of time during development of complex workflows.

Regards

Rakesh

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jul 10, 2009 at 6:59 PM

After I uninstalled and reinstalled and applied the workaround there are no issues.

Earlier when I had upgraded the solution, TaskData would not read ExtendedProperties correctly.

Other lists on the sharepoint website (subsites) use to throw the error as seen above (original post). In v1.0 the web parts also were giving the same error but it was fixed when I upgraded to V1.1.

Thanks