Weird installation problem on Server 2008 x64

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM

I have a weird problem installing the wss3workflow on a x64 server.

First when I run the MSI, I get a message that the wizard ended prematurely. when I run it through the command prompt and log the installation actions I can see the following error.

=========================================================================

Calling custom action TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint!TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint.SharePointCustomActions.FindWebApps
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint.SharePointCustomActions.FindWebApps(Session session)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
   at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)

Do I need to be farm administrator or have some set of rights on the local system in order to run the wizard succesfully. I'm loggin on to the system using remote desktop. and added myselft to the local administrators. and added myself as a farm administrator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Robert Graauw

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 3:07 PM
It seems our custom action that allows you to preinstall in a web app is failing. I think the best approach would be to extract the MSI contents and then install the WSP manually. I think MSI allows to do this. I'll try and check later today.

Van: rgraauw [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Verzonden: vr 14-8-2009 15:21
Aan: Wouter van Vugt
Onderwerp: Weird installation problem on Server 2008 x64 [wss3workflow:65692]

I have a weird problem installing the wss3workflow on a x64 server.

First when I run the MSI, I get a message that the wizard ended prematurely. when I run it through the command prompt and log the installation actions I can see the following error.

Calling custom action TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint!TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint.SharePointCustomActions.FindWebApps
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at TPG.SharePoint.Workflow.Install.SharePoint.SharePointCustomActions.FindWebApps(Session session)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)

Do I need to be farm administrator or have some set of rights on the local system in order to run the wizard succesfully. I'm loggin on to the system using remote desktop. and added myselft to the local administrators. and added myself as a farm administrator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Regards,

Robert Graauw

Read the full discussion online <http://wss3workflow.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=65692&ANCHOR#Post223477> .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <mailto:[email removed]?subject=[wss3workflow:65692]> )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings <http://www.codeplex.com/site/discussions/project/unsubscribe/wss3workflow> on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com
Aug 14, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Hi thnx for replying so fast,

I tried to extract the contents from the MSI but when I extracted it with winrar, I got a message saying the archive was corrupt.

Is it possible for you to send me an email with the wsp as an attachment.

I would furthermore like to say that this tool has helped a lot in discovering the wonderful ways of workflow in sharepoint. The videos are great and this together with robert shelton's blog is probably the only good explanation on this subject.

thnx for that.

Regards,

Robert Graauw

Coordinator
Aug 14, 2009 at 4:18 PM

This one should help:

http://thebackroomtech.com/2007/08/23/howto-extract-files-from-a-msi-file-using-the-windows-command-line/

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt
MVP Visual Studio Tools for Office

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

Sharing Knowledge with Passion
www.code-counsel.net

Your fastest way up the SharePoint learning curve!
www.criticalpathtraining.com

Sent: vrijdag 14 augustus 2009 16:46
To: Wouter van Vugt
Subject: Re: Weird installation problem on Server 2008 x64 [wss3workflow:65692]

Hi thnx for replying so fast,

I tried to extract the contents from the MSI but when I extracted it with winrar, I got a message saying the archive was corrupt.

Is it possible for you to send me an email with the wsp as an attachment.

I would furthermore like to say that this tool has helped a lot in discovering the wonderful ways of workflow in sharepoint. The videos are great and this together with robert shelton's blog is probably the only good explanation on this subject.

thnx for that.

Regards,

Robert Graauw

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com