debug ascx files

Oct 17, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Hi There,

I have hopefully a very simple question.

I have loaded the workflow samples and am happily debugging the workflow in vs2008 while it is running.

However I am not sure how i can debug the  .ascx usercontrol files?

Any suggestions please thanks jon

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2009 at 8:56 AM

You should change the web.config file

Set stacktrace to true (inside the SharePoint section)

Set compilation=debug

Set CustomErrors=Off

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt
MVP Visual Studio Tools for Office

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

http://blogs.code-counsel.net/wouter

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

Sharing Knowledge with Passion
www.code-counsel.net

Your fastest way up the SharePoint learning curve!
www.criticalpathtraining.com

Sent: zaterdag 17 oktober 2009 10:55
To: Wouter van Vugt
Subject: debug ascx files [wss3workflow:72301]

Hi There,

I have hopefully a very simple question.

I have loaded the workflow samples and am happily debugging the workflow in vs2008 while it is running.

However I am not sure how i can debug the .ascx usercontrol files?

Any suggestions please thanks jon

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:04 AM

wow that was an amazingly fast response

i have those settings on my web config in my farm

the issue i have is that when i attach to the w3p process using the workflow samples supplied project

my breakpoints get hit in the workflow but not in the user controls

i am sure i am missing something simple!

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Are they in the web.config belonging to the web app?

Is there inline code in the ASCX file (I assume so, since you want to debug it J)

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

www.code-counsel.net

Sent: zaterdag 17 oktober 2009 11:05
Subject: Re: debug ascx files [wss3workflow:72301]

wow that was an amazingly fast response

i have those settings on my web config in my farm

the issue i have is that when i attach to the w3p process using the workflow samples supplied project

my breakpoints get hit in the workflow but not in the user controls

i am sure i am missing something simple!

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email wss3workflow@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM

I will double check but I am pretty sure they are there

that is correct i want to be able to attach breakpoints debug the inline code in the .ascx files in the same way I can debug the workflow code

once i can do this i will be ready to propose this method for an upcoming project!

i am working with the ascx files supplied in the wss3 workflow tools sample

once again many thanks for your prompt response!

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2009 at 9:26 AM

The only thing I can think of is the wrong web.config configuration. We don’t do anything special in our ASCX or ASPX layers.

Best regards,

Wouter van Vugt

Envelope

wouter@code-counsel.net

Telephone

+31 6  438 317 12

icon_twitter

@woutervugt

RSS

Logo 7 cm

Code Counsel

Critical Path Training

CPT

www.code-counsel.net

Sent: zaterdag 17 oktober 2009 11:14
Subject: Re: debug ascx files [wss3workflow:72301]

I will double check but I am pretty sure they are there

that is correct i want to be able to attach breakpoints debug the inline code in the .ascx files in the same way I can debug the workflow code

once i can do this i will be ready to propose this method for an upcoming project!

i am working with the ascx files supplied in the wss3 workflow tools sample

once again many thanks for your prompt response!

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:39 AM

ok I will double check and try again

it therefore should be possible to debug the ascx files by attaching to the w3p process in visual studio?

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Yes. To be sure, you can attach to all w3wp processes running.

Van: hittoday [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Verzonden: za 17-10-2009 11:39
Aan: Wouter van Vugt
Onderwerp: Re: debug ascx files [wss3workflow:72301]

ok I will double check and try again

it therefore should be possible to debug the ascx files by attaching to the w3p process in visual studio?

Read the full discussion online <http://wss3workflow.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=72301&ANCHOR#Post246838> .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <mailto:[email removed]?subject=[wss3workflow:72301]> )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings <https://wss3workflow.codeplex.com/subscriptions/thread/project/edit> on codePlex.com.

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:45 AM

good stuff that's what i wanted to hear.

I have been very impressed with the framework so far and got up and running very quickly this has been my only hitch so far

one last thing what is the best method for vaidating user input using this technique ie can i use standard asp.net validation controls etc?

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2009 at 10:21 AM
Yes. Normal ASP.NET validation. Dont forget to set CausesValidation=-false on your cancel button.

And don't forget to rate the project on CodePlex :)

Van: hittoday [mailto:notifications@codeplex.com]
Verzonden: za 17-10-2009 11:45
Aan: Wouter van Vugt
Onderwerp: Re: debug ascx files [wss3workflow:72301]

good stuff that's what i wanted to hear.

I have been very impressed with the framework so far and got up and running very quickly this has been my only hitch so far

one last thing what is the best method for vaidating user input using this technique ie can i use standard asp.net validation controls etc?

Read the full discussion online <http://wss3workflow.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=72301&ANCHOR#Post246840> .

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email ([email removed] <mailto:[email removed]?subject=[wss3workflow:72301]> )

To start a new discussion for this project, email [email removed]

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings <https://wss3workflow.codeplex.com/subscriptions/thread/project/edit> on codePlex.com.